Sunday, June 8, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to Rob's Studio!

In the inaugural post for this blog, I'm just going to talk briefly about my purpose in creating this forum and to list out what I hope this blog will become.

  • First and foremost I'm going to use this as a forum for posting my home recordings. I'm always happy to hear comments and suggestions on my recordings and I encourage others who are recording at home to send me what they're doing.
  • Second, I hope to post about the music I'm listening to lately, and especially how its influencing my recording. Sometimes its more about how good a certain album sounds or what things I hear in a album that I don't like. I also want to post about artists who aren't well known.
  • Third, I hope to post about the little bit of music theory that I know and how to apply that to songwriting and recording. I became interested in building chords and theory in high school when I was first learning guitar. Even though I never majored in music, I took enough guitar lessons - both classical and jazz - in college to learn a fair amount of theory. What I'm finding out is that theory is elusive for many musicians, even trained ones! I hope that I can post some hints and tips that have helped me over the years.
  • Fourth, I will talk about my opinions in music. I played trombone and tuba all through college. I was not that good, but enjoyed it. It wasn't until high school that I started playing guitar and my musicianship REALLY took off. I have some strong opinions on what music education has becomes and the sad shape of adult musicianship that exists today.

At the end of the day, I just want this forum to be fun and interesting. I want opinions and comments about my recordings and what I post. I want to hear from others - whether you are a home recording artist or someone who enjoys music. I am an amateur. I don't do music full time, but I am very passionate about it. I think we as a society have lost the idea of amateur music and amateur musicians - I want to proudly declare that I do music on the side, I have a day job, I was NOT a music major, and I still enjoy every minute of it!

No comments: